The city Municipal Council was established in the year 1870. After the partition in 1947, the city was allotted a special status in view of its central location in the divided Punjab and thus emerged as the industrial nuclei in this part of the country. Since then there has been tremendous increase in the city population and the city became one of the fastest growing cities of India. The Municipal Corporation was formed in 1976 under the Punjab Municipal Act, 1976. Today the Municipal Corporation Ludhiana is one of the biggest corporations of Northern India with the population of about 18.7 million with staff strength of approximately 7000 employees.
The annual income of the Municipal Corporation has increased from Rs.92.45 Cr. in the year 1997-98 to Rs. 210.43 Cr. in the year 2004-2005 & Rs. 264.30 Cr. in the year 2005-2006. During the last five years the Municipal Corporation Ludhiana has witnessed a rapid financial growth of 7.98%. The major sources of income for the Corporation are Octroi collection, House Tax, Water and Sewerage Charges, Excise duty, Octroi on Electricity etc. The Municipal Corporation Ludhiana is one of the few Corporations in the country where the expenditure of Establishment and Contingency 35% of the income. This leaves more than 60% of the income to be spent on development works.
Achievements of Municipal Corporation of Ludhiana in the recent years:
- Declared "ROLE MODEL CORPORATION" amongst all corporations across the country during 2003 for Best Management practices.
- Added Dhuri ROB costing Rs. 10.50 Cr. to existing Two ROB's of Dholewal and Bus Stand.
- Ludhiana ranked amongst 10 top cities of India for providing best road network in the city as revealed in the survey by C.I.I.
- 2.3 Km long Elevated Road is first of its kind being provided in old city at the Cost of Rs. 50.50 Cr.
- Ludhiana is the first corporation in country providing POTABLE WATER TO 100% Population residing in the vicinity of the declared areas of the corporation.
- 380 Km. of new Roads have been added to the existing roads and 1206 Kms of roads have been Black topped.
- 8000 new SOIDUM LIGHTS added to existing street light points.
- First Corporation in state to install BIO MEDICAL WASTE treatment plant with 5 tons capacity/day.
- Indoor stadium on Pakhowal road at the cost of Rs. 15 Cr. in Progress & is nearing completion.
- Skating rink and twin squash courts have been constructed.
- 57 slum colonies upgraded & civic amenities provided therein.
- Covering of Ganda Nallah at the cost of Rs. 16 Cr. (24’-40’ sullage / rain water carrier being covered and metal led road to be made there on.)
Other Available infrastructure:
- Nehru Planetarium since 1982.
- Multi story car parking in the old city.
- Developed four major parks, Rose Garden, Rakh Bag, Mini Rose garden, Leisure valley. Running of mini train in Rakh Bagh.
- Developed dairy complex and truck stand.
|Commissioner, MC||2747134, 2740551|
|Joint Commissioner, MC||2742929|
|Joint Commissioner, MC||2740406|
|Asst. Commissioner, MC||2545877|
|SE Civil (B&R) Div. I||2748959|
|SE Civil (B&R) Div. II||2745776|
|XEN Panchayati Raj||2447840|